The crispy spiced chickpeas are great for nibbling on between meals. Double the batch and stash some for the extras in your lunch bag for an easy protein-packed snack.
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Total time 40 minutes
- Portion size 4 servings
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili sauce (such as sriracha)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic , finely grated or pressed
- 8 bone-in skin-on chicken drumsticks (about 900 g total)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Crispy Chickpea Salad:
- 1 can (540 mL) chickpeas , drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Asian chili sauce (such as sriracha)
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 5 cups lightly packed arugula
- Half small red onion , thinly sliced
Chicken: In large bowl, whisk together maple syrup, soy sauce, chili sauce, sesame oil and garlic. Remove 2 tbsp to small bowl and set aside.
Add chicken to remaining maple syrup mixture; toss to coat. Arrange on parchment paper–lined rimmed baking sheet. Roast in 425°F oven, turning once, until juices run clear when thickest part of chicken is pierced, about 35 minutes.
Brush with reserved maple syrup mixture; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Broil until browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
Crispy Chickpea Salad: While chicken is roasting, toss together chickpeas, 2 tsp of the oil, 1 tsp of the lime juice, the chili sauce and half each of the salt and pepper; spread in singlel layer on greased rimmed baking sheet. Roast in 425°F oven, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden, about 20 minutes.
In large bowl, whisk together maple syrup and remaining oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Add arugula and red onion; toss to coat. Top with chickpeas. Serve with chicken.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 6 g
- Sodium 682 mg
- Sugars 19 g
- Protein 35 g
- Calories 573
- Total fat 31 g
- Potassium 671 mg
- Cholesterol 123 mg
- Saturated fat 7 g
- Total carbohydrate 39 g
- Iron 26
- Folate 40
- Calcium 13
- Vitamin A 12
- Vitamin C 20