We promise you won't miss the tortilla chip in this vegetarian take on the classic Mexican dish.
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Total time 35 minutes
- Portion size 4 servings
- 1 large sweet potato (unpeeled), cut in 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each smoked paprika and garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 375 g can no-salt-added black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet green pepper , diced
- Half red onion , diced
- 1 tomato , diced
- 1/2 cup drained jarred hot banana pepper slices , coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. In large bowl, toss together sweet potato, oil, paprika, garlic powder and salt. Arrange on prepared pan; bake for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in bowl, combine black beans, green pepper, red onion, tomato, banana peppers and hot pepper sauce.
Using tongs, arrange sweet potato in centre of pan. Top with black bean mixture; sprinkle with cheddar. Continue to bake for 8 minutes; broil on high for 2 minutes. Top with salsa and cilantro (if using).
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 12 g
- Sodium 671 mg
- Sugars 19 g
- Protein 21 g
- Calories 476
- Total fat 19 g
- Potassium 1345 mg
- Cholesterol 44 mg
- Saturated fat 10 g
- Total carbohydrate 59 g