Start the workweek right with a light yet hearty meal packed with good-for-you veggies.
- Prep time 25 minutes
- Total time 30 minutes
- Portion size 4 servings
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili sauce (such as sriracha)
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large portobello mushrooms , stemmed
- 1 pkg (350 g) extra-firm tofu , drained
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 head broccoli , cut in florets (about 4 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 sweet yellow pepper , thinly sliced
- Half red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (optional)
In bowl, stir together hoisin sauce, soy sauce, chili sauce, vinegar and ginger. Set aside.
Remove gills from mushrooms. Halve caps; thinly slice. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes; pat dry with paper towel. Using fine-mesh sieve, dust tofu with cornstarch, turning to coat.
In large nonstick skillet or wok, heat 2 tbsp of the oil over high heat; stir-fry tofu, turning often, until golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to bowl; toss with half of the hoisin mixture. Set aside.
Add remaining oil to pan; stir-fry mushrooms and broccoli for 2 minutes. Add garlic, yellow pepper and red onion; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add remaining hoisin mixture; stir-fry until broccoli is tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tofu and basil (if using). Serve over rice.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 4 g
- Sodium 493 mg
- Sugars 10 g
- Protein 17 g
- Calories 308
- Total fat 18 g
- Potassium 705 mg
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 24 g
- Iron 21
- Folate 35
- Calcium 18
- Vitamin A 23
- Vitamin C 198