- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2008
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 onion cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 sweet red pepper cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 sweet green pepper cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 can pineapple chunks drained
MethodDon't miss our photographed step-by-step instructions for this recipe: Sweet and Sour Pineapple Chicken >>
In bowl, combine chicken, egg white, cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper; let stand for 10 minutes.
In wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry chicken, in batches and reserving cornstarch mixture in bowl, for 3 minutes or until golden-brown. Transfer to plate.
Add broth, 1/3 cup (75 mL) water, ketchup, sherry (if using), soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and sugar to reserved cornstarch; whisk to combine. Set aside.
Discard all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil from wok. Stir-fry onion and red and green peppers for about 3 minutes or until tender-crisp.
Add chicken, pineapple and stock mixture to wok; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened and chicken is coated.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 548 mg
- Protein 29 g
- Calories 273.0
- Total fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 66 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 25 g
- Iron 9.0
- Folate 12.0
- Calcium 3.0
- Vitamin A 13.0
- Vitamin C 125.0