A comforting, slow cooker soup recipe using fresh flavours of lemongrass and coconut milk.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: January 2008
- 1 lemongrass stalk (optional)
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squashes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 6 gingerroot
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (or 1/2 tsp/2 mL salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1 lb large raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
MethodIf using lemongrass, hit with top of knife blade along stalk to bruise; cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) lengths.
In slow cooker, combine squash, coconut milk, chicken stock, curry paste, ginger, lemongrass (if using), fish sauce and brown sugar. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until squash is tender. Discard ginger and lemongrass.
Using whisk, mash and stir squash to make smooth soup.
Stir in shrimp; cover and cook on high for about 15 minutes or until shrimp are pink. Stir in mint.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 719 mg
- Protein 23 g
- Calories 370.0
- Total fat 24 g
- Cholesterol 129 mg
- Saturated fat 18 g
- Total carbohydrate 21 g
- Iron 45.0
- Folate 23.0
- Calcium 12.0
- Vitamin A 178.0
- Vitamin C 43.0