We've added sriracha and fish sauce to this salad from our June 1999 issue for more authentic Thai flair. Use freshly squeezed lime juice for the best flavour.
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Total time 30 minutes
- Portion size 4 servings
Mango and Pepper Salad:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian chili sauce (such as sriracha)
- 1 mango peeled, pitted and cut in matchsticks
- 1 sweet red pepper cut in matchsticks
- 1/3 cup sliced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts chopped
- half pkg (454 g pkg) rice stick noodles (1/4-inch/5 mm wide)
- 450 g beef top sirloin grilling steak (3/4-inch/2 cm thick)
- 2 tablespoons each fish sauce and lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
MethodSteak: Place steak in shallow dish. Whisk together fish sauce, lime juice, oil and ginger; pour over steak, turning to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Reserving marinade, place steak on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning and brushing with reserved marinade halfway through, until medium-rare, about 10 minutes. Remove to cutting board; cover loosely with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice steak across the grain.
Mango and Pepper Salad: While steak is marinating, in large bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, fish sauce and chili sauce. Add mango, red pepper, onion, cilantro and peanuts; toss to combine.
To finish: Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain and top with salad and steak.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 4 g
- Sodium 901 mg
- Sugars 11 g
- Protein 27 g
- Calories 565.0
- Total fat 23 g
- Potassium 550 mg
- Cholesterol 52 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 62 g
- Iron 21.0
- Folate 23.0
- Calcium 3.0
- Vitamin A 14.0
- Vitamin C 97.0