Golden pan-fried tofu is right at home alongside fresh, crisp spring produce. Make this dinner a weekly staple by switching up the veggies and using whatever you have in the fridge.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2014
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pkg extra-firm tofu cut in1/2-inch (1 cm) wide strips
- 2/3 cups no-salt-added vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 green onions sliced (white and light green parts separated)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 cups sugar snap peas (about 250 g), trimmed
- 2 cups stemmed shiitake mushrooms (about 115 g)
- 3 cups chopped napa cabbage
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
MethodIn wok or large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tbsp of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat; cook tofu, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towel– lined plate.
Meanwhile, in small glass measure, whisk together broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar and cornstarch; add enough water to make 1 cup. Set aside.
Heat remaining vegetable oil over medium-high heat; cook white parts of green onions, garlic and ginger, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in sugar snap peas and mushrooms; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in cabbage; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth mixture and tofu; cook, stirring, until coated and sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
Stir in sesame oil and green parts of green onions.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 4 g
- Sodium 246 mg
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 19 g
- Calories 267.0
- Total fat 17 g
- Potassium 457 mg
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 15 g
- Iron 24.0
- Folate 28.0
- Calcium 17.0
- Vitamin A 8.0
- Vitamin C 50.0