This Chinese classic gets a wholesome makeover by replacing the meat with loads of fresh vegetables. Korean hot pepper paste isn't traditionally found in ma po tofu, but it adds a nice kick. Look for it in the Asian section of your grocery store, or substitute with one teaspoon of sriracha.
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Total time 25 minutes
- Portion size 4 servings
- 1 cup 20-minute whole grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or sesame oil
- 1 carrots quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise in scant 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick pieces
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 120 g green beans trimmed and cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) lengths
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms stemmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons black bean garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons Korean hot pepper paste (gochujang)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pkg (454 g) medium-firm tofu cut in 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes
MethodIn saucepan, cook rice according to package instructions.
Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry carrot, three-quarters of the green onions and the ginger until carrot is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add green beans and mushrooms; stir-fry until green beans are beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in black bean garlic sauce and hot pepper paste; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Whisk cornstarch with 1 cup water; stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to boil; boil, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium. Add tofu; cook, stirring gently, until tofu is coated and warmed through, about 3 minutes. If necessary, add water, 1 tbsp at a time, to reach desired consistency.
Divide rice among serving bowls; top with ma po tofu. Sprinkle with remaining green onions.
Tip from The Test Kitchen: Use medium-firm tofu in stir-fries. It has a delicate texture yet doesn't fall apart as easily as soft tofu.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 4 g
- Sodium 226 mg
- Sugars 6 g
- Protein 26 g
- Calories 370.0
- Total fat 15 g
- Potassium 470 mg
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 52 g
- Iron 25.0
- Folate 27.0
- Calcium 18.0
- Vitamin A 114.0
- Vitamin C 8.0