M. Lee Leuschner's Oven-Barbecued Short Ribs with Creamy Chili Biscuits
This recipe makes 8 servings
- Portion size: 6 to 8
- 3 lb 3lbbeef simmering short ribs
- 3 tbsp 3tbspvegetable oil
- 2 large 2largeoniononions, coarsely chopped
- 3 3clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cans (each 19 oz/540 mL) 2cans (each 19 oz/540 mL)stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups 2cupsbeef stock
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupcider vinegar
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuppacked brown sugar
- 3 tbsp 3tbspWorcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp 2tbspDijon mustard
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspsalt
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tsphot pepper sauce
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppaprika
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspturmeric
- 8 8fresh parsley sprigfresh parsley sprigs
- 2 2thin lemon slices
- 1 lb 1lbpotatopotatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb 1lbcarrotcarrots, peeled and cut diagonally in 2-inch (5 cm) thick slices Chili Biscuits:
- 1 tbsp 1tbspbutter
- 1 1oniononions, finely chopped
- 1 large 1largeclove garliccloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups 2cupsflour
- 1 tbsp 1tbspbaking powder
- 2 tsp 2tspchili powder
- 1 tsp 1tspsalt
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupgrated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp 2tbspminced fresh parsley or coriander
- 1 cup 1cupwhipping cream
One Day Ahead:
Arrange ribs in single layer in large shallow roasting pan. Broil 4-inches (10 cm) from heat, turning often, for about 10 minutes or until browned.
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until translucent.
Add tomatoes, stock, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, hot pepper sauce, pepper, paprika, turmeric, parsley and lemon slices. Add ribs and pan drippings; bring to boil. Cover and transfer to 350°F (180°C) oven; bake for about 2 hours or just until ribs are tender.
Add potatoes and carrots. Bake, covered, for about 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Discard parsley and lemon. Let cool for about 30 minutes. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove fat from top.
One Hour Before Serving:
Bring ribs to simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, in small skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until softened. Let cool.
In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, chili powder and salt ; stir in cheese and parsley. Blend in onion mixture. Drizzle cream over top, mixing with fork just until dough comes together and adding more cream if necessary.
Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; knead about 10 times. Roll out to 1/2-inch (1 cm) thickness. Using 2-1/4-inch (5.5 cm) round cookie cutter, cut out circles; arrange over ribs.
Bake, uncovered in 450°F (230°C) oven for about 15 minutes or until biscuits are puffed and no longer doughy underneath.