Mashed Potato Shallot Crumble
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||8 g|
|sat. fat||4 g|
- Portion size: 8
For a new twist on Thanksgiving mashed, try this special version from "A Thanksgiving to Remember" in our October 2004 issue of Canadian Living Magazine.
- 6 6Yukon Gold potatoYukon Gold potatoes, (about 2 lb/1 kg)
- 12 12large shallotshallots
- 1 tbsp 1tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp 2tbspfresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupcornmeal
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsfresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupbutter, melted
- 1 tsp 1tspfresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp 1tspfresh rosemary, chopped
Peel potatoes; cut into chunks. In saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and mash.
Meanwhile, cut shallots lengthwise into quarters. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry shallots until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in parsley; let cool.
Grease 9-inch (2.5 L) springform pan; sprinkle pan with cornmeal. Gently pack mashed potatoes over bottom and halfway up side of pan; spoon shallot mixture evenly into centre. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
In bowl, toss together bread crumbs, butter, thyme and rosemary until moistened; sprinkle over shallot mixture. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until golden, about 1 hour. Let stand for 5 minutes before removing side of pan. Cut into wedges.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2004