Mediterranean Barley Rice Salad
This recipe makes 16 servings
|Per each of 16 servings: about||-|
|total fat||10 g|
|sat. fat||3 g|
- Preparation time: 12 minutes
- Cook time : 20 minutes Chill: 30 minutes
- Total time : PT32M
- Portion size: 12 to 16
- 1 cup 1cuppearl barley, rinsed
- 1 cup 1cupbasmati rice, rinsed
- 3 cups 3cupscherry tomatocherry tomatoes
- 1/2 1/2large red onionred onions
- 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers
- 1 1English cucumberEnglish cucumbers
- 4 cups 4cupsbaby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 pkg (200 g) 1pkg (200 g)feta cheese, crumbled Dressing:
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupextra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup 1/2cuplemon juice
- 1 tsp 1tspdried oregano
- 1 tsp 1tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
In saucepan of boiling salted water, cook barley until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain well. Let stand for 10 minutes to dry. Transfer to large bowl.
Meanwhile, in separate saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) salted water to boil. Add rice; cover, reduce heat and simmer until tender and no liquid remains, about 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add to barley mixture; let cool.
Cut tomatoes in half; add to barley mixture. Cut onion, red pepper and cucumber into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks; add to barley, tossing to combine.
Dressing: In large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper; pour over salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or for up to 24 hours.
To serve, stir in spinach and feta cheese.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: June 2010