Mediterranean Rice Salad
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||6 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 8
Full of sunny flavours and crisp veggies, this salad is equally nice made with barley or couscous.
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupslong grain rice
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupdried currants
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped onion
- 2 2carrotcarrots, grated
- 1 1zucchinizucchinis, grated Dressing:
- 1/2 cup 1/2cuporange juice
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh mint
- 3 tbsp 3tbspvegetable oil
- 2 tbsp 2tbsprice vinegar or wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp 1tbspliquid honey
- 1 tsp 1tspsalt
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspground cumin
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspcoriander
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppaprika
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
In large saucepan, bring 3 cups (750 mL) water to boil; stir in rice. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until tender and water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in currants, onion, carrots and zucchini.
Dressing: Whisk together orange juice, mint, oil, vinegar, honey, salt, cumin, coriander, paprika and pepper; stir into rice mixture. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until chilled.
Additional information :
Tip: For extra colour, use a red onion. If the flavour is too strong, soak onion in cold water for 15 minutes before using.
Food Safety Fact: Surprisingly, leftover cooked rice can develop toxins that will make you sick. Cover and refrigerate within 1 hour of cooking. Keep for no longer than 2 days.