The mild cabbage-like flavour of turnip makes it a fitting candidate for a sweet summer slaw. We've combined the root vegetable with kohlrabi, a member of the turnip family, in this sesame-dressed dish.
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Total time 1 hour & 15 minutes
- 4 teaspoons sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds , toasted
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 small clove garlic , finely grated or pressed
- pinch salt
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 2 cups matchstick-cut peeled turnips (about 1)
- 1 cup matchstick-cut peeled kohlrabi (about 2 small)
- 1 carrots , cut in matchsticks
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
Sesame Dressing: In large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, sesame seeds, mustard, sesame oil, garlic and salt. Set aside.
Salad: In saucepan of boiling water, cook edamame for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool; drain well.
Add edamame, turnip, kohlrabi, carrot and green onions to dressing; toss to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 servings: about
- Iron 6
- Fibre 3 g
- Folate 28
- Sodium 265 mg
- Sugars 4 g
- Calcium 3
- Protein 3 g
- Calories 67
- Total fat 3 g
- Vitamin A 21
- Vitamin C 35
- Potassium 287 mg
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Total carbohydrate 8 g