No matter how many times you tell yourself you're going to make your own hors d'oeuvres this holiday season, it's still tempting to buy packaged frozen appetizers for entertaining. Well, don't fret. Here are simple hors d'oeuvres that are either five ingredients or less, take 10 minutes to make or have convenient make-ahead or freezer options -- and will have guests asking for the recipes.
• Halve cherry tomatoes, sandwich around small bocconcini balls then thread onto short skewers. Set out a small bowl of balsamic vinegar mixed with extra-virgin olive oil for dipping.
• Wrap thin slices of prosciutto around pitted honey dates or dried figs. If desired, grill until prosciutto is crisp.
• Cube chicken breasts and toss with prepared honey-garlic sauce. Broil until no longer pink inside. Skewer chicken cube along with cube of pineapple, mango or cantaloupe.
• Stuff halved mini pitas with prepared hummus or baba ghanoush, an eggplant dip. Top with finely diced cucumber and tomato.
• Top toasted baguette slices with a slice of Brie cheese and either a slice of strawberry, a slice of fresh fig or a dab of mango chutney. Top with a toasted pecan half.