Mini Chicken Pot Pies
This recipe makes 12 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||15 g|
|sat. fat||8 g|
- Portion size: 12
Serve ramekins of this classic comfort food on napkin-lined side plates with demitasse or small dessert spoons.
- 1/2 1/2Quick Puff Pastry Recipe
- 1 1eggeggs
- 2 tbsp 2tbspolive oil
- 1 lb 1lbboneless skinless chicken breastboneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 1 1large oniononions, finely diced
- 1 1large carrotcarrots, finely diced
- 2 cups 2cupsfinely diced celery root or parsnip
- 2 cups 2cupsfinely chopped shiitake mushroom capshiitake mushroom caps or white mushrooms, (4 oz/125 g)
- 1 tsp 1tspdried thyme
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupdry white wine
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupsalted butter
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupall-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2-1/2cupssodium-reduced chicken broth
On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into 12- x 9-inch (30 x 23 cm) rectangle. Using 3-inch (8 cm) pastry cutter, cut out 12 circles. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheet; prick with fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Beat egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; brush lightly over pastry circles. Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven until light golden and puffed, about 8 minutes. Let cool. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 24 hours.)
In large saucepan, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; cook chicken until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 6 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove chicken to large bowl.
Add remaining oil to pan; cook onion, carrot, celery root, mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes.
Add wine and boil, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until no liquid remains, about 3 minutes. Add to chicken.
In same pan, melt butter over medium heat; whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Whisk in broth until smooth; bring to boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Return chicken mixture to pan; cover and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Divide among twelve 6 oz (175 mL) ovenproof ramekins; wipe rims if necessary. (Make-ahead: Let cool; cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Uncover and bake in 425°F/220°C oven until hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes.)
Place pastry tops on ramekins; bake in 425°F (220°C) oven until bubbly, 3 to 5 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Holiday Cookbook: Fall 2009