New Mexican Chili Braised Beef
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||11 g|
|sat. fat||3 g|
- Preparation time: 5 minutes Stand: 30 minutes
- Total time : 2-1/2 hours
- Portion size: 8
A Latin American grocery store or fine food shop would have these chilies. Each gives a different flavour: pasilla chilies are hot; anchos are sweet; chipotles are smoky.
- 6 6cloves garlic, (unpeeled)
- 2 2dried pasilla chiles or guajillo chilies or New Mexico chilies
- 2 2ancho chilieancho chilies
- 2 2dried chipotle chilies
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspdried oregano
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspsalt
- 1 tsp 1tspground cumin
- 1 tsp 1tspground coriander
- 1 tsp 1tsppacked brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspallspice
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) 1can (28 oz/796 mL)plum tomatoplum tomatoes
- 2 lb 2lbbeef outside round oven roast
- 2 tbsp 2tbspvegetable oil
- 2 2oniononions, chopped
In dry skillet, cook garlic until skins blacken, about 5 minutes. Peel off skins. Set aside.
Break stems off pasilla, ancho and chipotle chilies. Tear chilies open and remove seeds and veins. In dry skillet, toast chilies over medium heat, turning once, until pliable, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer to bowl. Cover with 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) boiling water; let stand for 30 minutes.
In blender, pulse together chilies, soaking water, oregano, 1 tsp (5 mL) of the salt, cumin, coriander, brown sugar, pepper, allspice and tomatoes until smooth. Set aside.
Cut beef into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes; sprinkle with remaining salt. In Dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat; brown beef, in batches. Transfer to bowl.
In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat; cook onions, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add chili mixture, beef and any accumulated juices; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 2 hours.
Remove beef with slotted spoon. Increase heat to medium-high; boil until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Return beef to pan and heat through.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2010