Pasta with Fennel, Sardines, Anchovies and Pinenuts
This recipe makes 4 servings
- Portion size: 4
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupgolden raisingolden raisins
- 1 1small fennel bulbfennel bulbs
- 4 4anchovy filletanchovy fillets
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupchopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 4garlic clovegarlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp 1tspgrated lemon rind
- 8 8fresh sardines, dressed (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupall-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp 3tbspextra virgin olive oil
- 1 1finely chopped oniononions
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuppine nutpine nuts
- 1 pinch 1pinchsalt
- 12 oz 12ozbucatini pasta, or other thick long pasta
In small bowl, soak raisins in hot water; set aside.
Cut top stems off fennel, reserving feathery greens. Cut lengthwise into quarters.
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook fennel for 8 minutes. Drain and let cool.
Cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes and place in separate bowl.
Using chef's knife, mince anchovies; add to fennel along with parsley, garlic and lemon rind; set aside.
Dredge sardines in flour.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook sardines for 5 minutes, turning once. Remove sardines to paper towel lined plate.
Add onion to skillet; cook for 4 minutes or until starting to colour.
Add pine nuts and drained raisins; cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Add salt and fennel mixture; cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until fennel and onion are very tender.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm.
Drain and add to skillet; toss to coat with sauce.
Place in large serving bowl, arrange sardines around edge.
Sprinkle with reserved feathery greens.