Pesto and Roasted Eggplant Pizza
This recipe makes 8 slices servings
- Portion size: 8 slices
- 1 1small eggplant, (about 8 oz/250 g)
- 3 tbsp 3tbspolive oil
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 2/3 cup 2/3cupprepared pesto sauce
- 1 1unbaked 12-inch pizza baseunbaked 12-inch pizza bases
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsshredded fontina cheese or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupdiced plum tomatoplum tomatoes
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices; cut each in half crosswise. Brush baking sheet with 2 teaspoons (10 mL) of the oil; arrange eggplant in single layer on top. Brush with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) more of the oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast, turning halfway through, for about 30 minutes or until dark and tender. Raise oven temperature to 500°F (260°C).
Spread 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the pesto over pizza base; sprinkle with Fontina cheese. Arrange eggplant over top, then tomatoes. Combine remaining oil and pesto; drizzle over tomatoes.
Bake in bottom third of oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden and slightly puffed.