Aromatic Beef Kabobs with Cucumber Yogurt
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||18 g|
|sat. fat||8 g|
- Portion size: 4
These kabobs make great party food for a backyard gathering. If you like, substitute ground lamb for the beef for an authentic Middle-Eastern taste. Serve with pitas warmed on the grill and cucumber yogurt sauce.
- 1 lb 1lblean ground beef or lean ground lamb
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupcurrantcurrants or raisins, (chopped)
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupdry breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp 2tbspminced fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp 1tbspminced gingerroot
- 1 tbsp 1tbspgarlic
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdried oregano
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspthyme
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspground cumin
- 4 4Greek-style pita breadGreek-style pita breads, (no pocket)
- 2 cups 2cupsshredded red leaf lettuce or romaine lettuce
- 1 1cucumbercucumbers, yogurt (recipe below)
In bowl, blend beef, currants, bread crumbs, coriander, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, pepper, oregano, thyme, salt and cumin. Divide into 12 portions; form into egg shapes, flattening slightly. Thread onto skewers.
Place on greased grill over medium-high heat. Close lid and grill, turning twice, until digital meat thermometer inserted in centre of a few reads 160°F (71°C), 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, grill pita on both sides until slightly crisp, 2 minutes. Serve kabobs, lettuce and Cucumber Yogurt in pitas.
Additional information : Cucumber Yogurt
In bowl, combine 1 cup (250 mL) Balkan-style plain yogurt; 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated peeled cucumber; 1 green onion, thinly sliced; 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice; and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and granulated sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 1-1/3 cups (325 mL).
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: June 2008