This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per each of 6 servings: about||-|
|total fat||11 g|
|sat. fat||2 g|
- Portion size: 4 to 6
Don't fret over using boneless, skinless chicken thighs - this perfectly-seasoned meal packs plenty of flavour from a savoury sauce of whole tomatoes, red wine, paprika, garlic, peppers and onion.
- 12 12boneless skinless chicken thighboneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 2 tbsp 2tbspolive oil
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 2 2sweet green peppersweet green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp 1tspsmoked paprika or chili powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdried thyme
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupdry red wine, (or 1/4 cup/50 mL water and 1 tbsp/15 mL balsamic vinegar)
- 1 1can (28oz/796 mL) whole tomatoes
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh parsley
Sprinkle chicken with half each of the salt and pepper. In large shallow Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken, in batches. Transfer to plate.
Drain any fat from pan. Add onion, garlic and green peppers; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in paprika, thyme and remaining salt and pepper. Add wine; cook, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan, until almost no liquid remains.
Add tomatoes, breaking up with spoon. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan, spooning sauce over top; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 25 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken and peppers to serving plate; keep warm. Stir parsley into sauce and bring to boil; cook until thickened. Spoon over chicken.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2008