Beef Noodle Soup
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||5 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 4
The sirloin grilling steaks added to this noodle soup with vegetables make it a filling, one-bowl meal.
- 8 oz 8ozbeef top sirloin grilling steakbeef top sirloin grilling steaks, thinly sliced across the grain
- 2 tbsp 2tbspcornstarch
- 2 tbsp 2tbspsodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tbsp 2tbspsherry, (optional)
- 1 tsp 1tspsesame oil
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspfive-spice powder
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspgranulated sugar
- 6 oz 6ozwide (1/2 inch/1 cm) rice noodles
- 2 2carrotcarrots
- 4 heads 4headsbaby bok choy
- 4 cups 4cupssodium-reduced beef stock
- 1 1eggeggs, beaten
- 2 2green oniongreen onions, thinly sliced
In bowl, combine steak, half each of the cornstarch, soy sauce, and sherry (if using), the oil, five-spice powder and sugar. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain and divide among 4 bowls. Peel carrots; cut into thin 2-inch (5 cm) long strips. Separate bok choy into leaves. Set aside.
In large Dutch oven, bring stock, remaining soy sauce and sherry and 2 cups (500 mL) water to boil. Stir in steak mixture, separating with spoon; reduce heat and simmer
for 3 minutes. Add carrots and bok choy; cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
In small bowl, whisk remaining cornstarch with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; stir into soup and simmer until glossy and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Return soup to boil. With fork, stir in egg in slow thin stream, pulling into strands. Pour over noodles; sprinkle with green onions.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2007