Black Bean Beef and Asparagus
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||39 g|
|sat. fat||13 g|
- Portion size: 4
The savoury flavour of black bean sauce with the freshness of asparagus makes this an all-in-one addictive treat.
- 6 6green oniongreen onions
- 1 lb 1lbasparagus, trimmed
- 1 lb 1lblean ground beef or ground beef
- 2 tbsp 2tbspvegetable oil
- 3 3cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp 2tspgrated gingerroot
- 1 1red bird's-eye chili, (optional)
- 2 tbsp 2tbspblack bean sauce
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupsodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 tbsp 2tbspdry sherry, (optional)
- 1 tbsp 1tbspsodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tsp 2tspgranulated sugar
- 2 tsp 2tspcornstarch
- 12 oz 12oznoodles or linguine, cooked and rinsed
- 1/2 1/2English cucumberEnglish cucumbers, cut into 2-inch sticks
Cut onions into white and green parts. Mince white parts. Cut 3 of the green parts into 2-inch (5 cm) lengths. Set aside.
In saucepan of boiling water, blanch asparagus until tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes; cut into 2-inch (5 cm) lengths. Place beef in colander; blanch in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain.
In wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry garlic, white parts of onions, ginger, chili (if using) and beef for 5 minutes or until fragrant and no liquid remains. Add black bean sauce; stir-fry for 1 minute.
Whisk broth, 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, sherry (if using), soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch; add to wok. Add asparagus and green parts of onions; cook, stirring, until thickened, glossy and asparagus is heated through. Toss with noodles. Garnish with cucumber.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2008