Bucatini with Sausage and Eggplant Sauce
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cook time : 25 minutes
- Total time : PT40M
- Portion size: 4
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||18 g|
|sat. fat||5 g|
- 2 2large eggplants
- 2 tsp 2tspsalt
- 1 tbsp 1tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 2 2mild Italian sausagemild Italian sausages
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) 1can (28 oz/796 mL)whole tomatoes
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupred wine, (optional)
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspdried Italian herb seasoning or dried basil
- 1 pinch 1pinchsalt
- 1 pinch 1pinchgranulated sugar
- 1 lb 1lbbucatini pasta or spaghetti
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- Hot pepper flakes
Peel eggplants; cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes. Place in colander and toss with salt. Let stand for 10 to 30 minutes to release bitter juices. Squeeze and pat dry.
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Remove sausages from casings; fry, breaking up with spoon, just until starting to brown. Add eggplant; cook, stirring, until softened and sausage is no longer pink.
Add tomatoes, breaking up with spoon, wine (if using), herb seasoning, salt and sugar; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain and serve with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and hot pepper flakes.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2010