Photography by Matthew Kimura
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||8 g|
|sat. fat||2 g|
- Portion size: 4
This Chicken Souvlaki recipe is a flavourful must-have main for any Greek-inspired menu, and makes an easy family weeknight dinner as well. Don't forget to serve these tasty skewers with our zesty Greek Tzatziki sauce, find the recipe link below.
- 12 oz 12ozchicken breast, boneless, skinlesschicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 tsp 1tspgrated lemon rind
- 2 tbsp 2tbsplemon juice
- 1 tbsp 1tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp 1tspdried oregano
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 1/2 1/2red onionred onions, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) wedges
- 1/2 1/2cucumbercucumbers
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupprepared tzatziki sauce
- 4 4whole wheat pocketless pitawhole wheat pocketless pitas
- 1 1tomatotomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 cup 1cupshredded romaine lettuce
Cut chicken into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes. In large bowl, toss together chicken, lemon rind and juice, oil, oregano, salt and pepper; let stand for 10 minutes to marinate.
Alternately thread chicken and onion onto 4 metal skewers. Broil on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut cucumber in half lengthwise; thinly slice crosswise to make 1 cup (250 mL).
Spread tzatziki over half of each pita. Push chicken and onion off skewers onto pitas. Top with tomato, cucumber and lettuce; fold over.
Serve with our Greek Tzatziki recipe.
Additional information : Variation
Pork Souvlaki: Replace chicken with pork tenderloin.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2007; Best Recipes Ever, weekdays at 3pm on CBC TV