Cosy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Portion size: 4
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||8 g|
|sat. fat||2 g|
- 1 tbsp 1tbspolive oil
- 12 oz 12ozboneless skinless chicken thighboneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1leekleeks, diced
- 2 2ribs celery, diced
- 2 2carrotcarrots, diced
- 1 1Yukon Gold potatoYukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 1/2sweet potatosweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 3sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 3sprigs fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 4 cups 4cupssodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupbasmati rice, rinsed
- 1 cup 1cupfrozen peas
In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken. Remove and cut into chunks; set aside.
Add leek and celery to pan; cook over medium heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Add carrots, potato, sweet potato, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
Return chicken to pan along with any juices. Stir in broth and 4 cups water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in rice; cook until vegetables and rice are tender, about 13 minutes. Add peas. Discard thyme and parsley.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2011