Mushroom Sloppy Joes
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||12 g|
|sat. fat||4 g|
- Portion size: 4
Serve these gooey, cheesy sandwiches with tender-crisp steamed broccoli spears on the side.
- 1 lb 1lb(6 cups/1.5 L) quartered mushroommushrooms
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 1 1chopped oniononions
- 3 3minced cloves of garlic
- 1 1diced sweet green peppersweet green peppers
- 1 tbsp 1tbspchili powder
- 1 tsp 1tspdried oregano
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspeach of salt and pepper
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) 1can (19 oz/540 ml)stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuptomato paste
- 1 tsp 1tspgranulated sugar
- 4 4whole wheat kaiser rollwhole wheat kaiser rolls
- 4 4slices Swiss cheese
In food processor, pulse mushrooms until largest pieces are size of peas.
In large shallow Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry mushrooms, onion and garlic, stirring often, until liquid is evaporated, about 8 minutes.
Add green pepper, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper; fry until pepper is tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar, mashing to break up; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until mixture can mound firmly on spoon, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut rolls in half and toast. Spoon mushroom mixture onto bottom halves; top with cheese and remaining bun halves.
More sloppy joe recipes:
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2004