Pan-Fried Chicken With Glazed Herbed Carrots
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Total time : 30 minutes
- Portion size: 4
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||11 g|
|sat. fat||3 g|
|dietary fibre||3 g|
Adding a little sugar to sliced carrots helps bring out their inherent sweetness. Tossed with almonds and herbs, they are perfect for dressing up simple pan-fried chicken. Serve with a baby spinach salad or steamed green vegetables.
- 2 tsp 2tspolive oil
- 1 1shallotshallots, finely chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch 1pinchcinnamon
- 3 3large carrots, (about 250 g total), cut in 1/8-inch (3 mm) slices
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 2/3 cup 2/3cupsodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp 2tbspchopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tbsp 1tbsppacked brown sugar
- 1 tbsp 1tbspbutter
- 1 tbsp 1tbsplemon juice
- 2 2large boneless skinless chicken breastboneless skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 lb/450 g total)
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupslivered almonds, toasted
In skillet, heat 1 tsp of the oil over medium heat; cook shallot, garlic and cinnamon until shallot is softened, about 2 minutes. Add carrots and pinch each of the salt and pepper; cook until carrots start to soften, about 2 minutes. Add broth; cook until almost all liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
Add parsley, tarragon, sugar and butter; cook, stirring, until carrots are coated, about 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Transfer to platter and keep warm.
Meanwhile, cut chicken breasts in half horizontally to form thin cutlets. Sprinkle both sides with remaining salt and pepper. In large nonstick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; cook chicken, turning once, until no longer pink inside, about 8 minutes.
Sprinkle almonds over carrots. Serve with chicken.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2012