Salsa-Stuffed Muffin Meat Loaves
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Total time : 30 minutes
- Portion size: 4
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||15 g|
|sat. fat||7 g|
|dietary fibre||4 g|
Black beans add fibre and bulk, and perfectly match the seasonings in these little Tex-Mex inspired meatloaves. Mix remaining beans with hot cooked rice or corn to go alongside. You can make your own fresh bread crumbs by pulsing your favourite cubed whole wheat bread in the food processor.
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupfresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 1green oniongreen onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupdrained canned black beans, rinsed
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspchili powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1 pinch 1pinchsalt
- 1 1eggeggs
- 1 lb 1lbextra-lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupprepared salsa
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupshredded Monterey Jack cheese or Cheddar cheese
In large bowl, combine bread crumbs, onion, black beans, chili powder, pepper, salt and egg. Mix in beef. Shape into 8 balls. Place each in lightly greased muffin cup.
With spoon, make indentation in centre of each; fill with salsa and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven until digital rapid-read thermometer inserted in centre of meat reads 160°F (71°C), about 15 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2012