Slow Cooker Lamb Shanks with Fennel and White Beans
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||28 g|
|sat. fat||9 g|
- Portion size: 6
- 6 6lamb shanklamb shanks, (about 4 lb/2 kg)
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 2 tbsp 2tbspvegetable oil
- 1 1oniononions, finely diced
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsdiced carrotcarrots
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsdiced fennel
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp 1tspdried thyme
- 1 tsp 1tspfennel seeds
- 1 cup 1cupdry white wine or sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 1 cup 1cupsodium-reduced chicken stock
- 2 cans (each 19 oz/540 mL) 2cans (each 19 oz/540 mL)white navy (pea) beanbeans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupchopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh parsley
Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. In large skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; brown lamb, in batches. Transfer to plate. Drain fat from pan.
Heat remaining oil in skillet over medium heat; fry onion, carrot, fennel, garlic, thyme and fennel seeds, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add wine and stock; bring to boil, stirring and scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Pour into slow cooker.
Add navy beans and tomatoes to slow cooker. Add lamb, pushing into liquid. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours or until meat is tender and separates easily from bone. Transfer lamb to plate. Skim off fat in slow cooker. Stir in parsley. Spoon into shallow bowls; top with lamb.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2006