Slow Cooker Squash and Chickpea Curry
Squash and Chickpea Curry
Photography by Matthew Kimura
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per each of 8 servings: about||-|
|total fat||8 g|
|sat. fat||3 g|
- Portion size: 6 to 8
Rich cashew butter makes a special addition to this vegetarian curry dish.
- 2 cups 2cupscubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 cups 2cupsdiced peeled potatopotatoes
- 1 can 1canchickpeachickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 1 1oniononions, diced
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp 1tbspminced gingerroot
- 3 tbsp 3tbspmild curry paste
- 1 can 1canlight coconut milk
- 1 cup 1cupvegetable stock
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupnatural cashew butter or peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 2 cups 2cupspacked shredded Swiss chard
- 1 cup 1cupfrozen green peas
- 2 tbsp 2tbspchopped fresh coriander
In slow cooker, combine squash, potato and chickpeas.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic and ginger, stirring occasionally, until onion is light golden, about 7 minutes. Add curry paste; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add to slow cooker.
Add coconut milk and stock to slow cooker; stir in cashew butter and salt. Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in Swiss chard and peas. Cover and cook on high for about 15 minutes or until Swiss chard wilts. Sprinkle with coriander.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2006