Thai Chicken and Coconut Milk Soup
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Total time : 20 minutes
- Portion size: 4
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||23 g|
|sat. fat||19 g|
|dietary fibre||3 g|
This aromatic Thai-inspired soup is the perfect comfort food to warm up a cold winter evening. Top with finely sliced red chilies for a little extra kick, if desired. You can also swap the rice with noodles, or serve it without a starch, as a brothy starter soup.
- 1 cup 1cupjasmine rice or white rice
- 1 pkg (900 mL) 1pkg (900 mL)sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 stalk 1stalklemongrass, halved crosswise then lengthwise
- 6 slices (1/2 inch/1 cm thick) 6slices (1/2 inch/1 cm thick)fresh ginger
- 1 lb 1lbboneless skinless chicken breastboneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsthinly sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup 1cupfrozen peas
- 2 tbsp 2tbspfish sauce
- 1 tbsp 1tbsppacked brown sugar
- 1 tsp 1tspred curry paste
- 1 can (400 mL) 1can (400 mL)coconut milk
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupchopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp 2tbsplime juice
Cook rice according to package directions.
Meanwhile, in large pot, bring broth, lemongrass and ginger to boil over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken, mushrooms and peas; cook over medium-low heat until chicken is no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
In small bowl, whisk together fish sauce, brown sugar and red curry paste. Stir into pot along with coconut milk; simmer until hot and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Discard lemongrass and ginger.
Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve over rice.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2013