Quick Pickled Beets
This recipe makes 4 cups servings
|Per 2 tbsp (25 mL) : about||-|
|sat. fat||0 g|
- Portion size: 4 cups (1 L)
Look for packaged mixed pickling spices in your local supermarket.
- 6 large 6largebeets with greens, cooked and peeled
- 1 cup 1cuppacked brown sugar
- 1 cup 1cupwhite vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 tsp 2tspmixed pickling spices
Cut beets into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes. Pack into 4 cup (1 L) jar, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) headspace. Set aside.
In large saucepan over medium heat, combine brown sugar, vinegar, 1/2 cup (125 mL) water and pickling spices; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour over beets, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) headspace. Let cool. Screw on lid. (Make-ahead: Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.)
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2003