Quinoa Salad with Chicken and Black Beans
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per each of 6 servings: about||-|
|total fat||8 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 4 to 6
Quinoa is an ancient grain native to South America. Its nutty taste and chewy texture make it a great alternative to other grains in salads and soups or as a side dish. Here it pairs perfectly with other South American produce, such as corn and black beans.
- 2 tbsp 2tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp 1tsppaprika
- 1 cup 1cupquinoa
- 2 2boneless skinless chicken breastboneless skinless chicken breasts, diced (about 12 oz/375 g)
- 1 tsp 1tspground cumin
- 1 tsp 1tspground coriander
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1 pinch 1pinchcayenne pepper
- 3 3green oniongreen onions, sliced
- 2 2plum tomatoplum tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 1/2sweet red peppersweet red peppers, diced
- 2 cups 2cupscooked or canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup 1cupcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp 2tbsplime juice
In saucepan, heat half of the oil over medium heat; cook garlic and paprika, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in quinoa. Add 2 cups (500 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until no liquid remains and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; saut?hicken, cumin, ground coriander, salt, pepper and cayenne until browned, about 5 minutes.
Add green onions, tomatoes, red pepper, black beans and corn; cook over medium heat, stirring, until red pepper is tender-crisp and chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Add quinoa, coriander and lime juice; toss to combine. (Make-ahead: Let cool; refrigerate in airtight container for up to 24 hours.)
Additional information : Variation
Red Quinoa Salad with Chicken and Black Beans: Replace quinoa with red quinoa. Increase cooking time to 20 to 25 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2007