Apple and cheese don't always mean pie. Here, with spinach, nuts and a zesty dressing, the apple/cheese combo makes a hearty salad. Try Spartan, Northern Spy, Rome Beauty or Winesap for this salad. Cortland apples, if available, are the very best salad apples because they don't discolour.
- Portion size 8 servings
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- tabasco sauce to taste
- 1 lb spinach (about 1 1/2 pkg)
- 2 apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup toasted fresh walnut
- 1 1/2 cup grated old white Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese
Dressing: Combine all ingredients, adding a dash of Tabasco sauce; cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours before serving. Taste, adding more salt if desired.
Salad: Rinse spinach thoroughly in cold water; drain. Remove coarse stems and shake or spin off excess water. Wrap in towelling until just before serving time.
Break spinach into large bite-sized pieces. Core and dice unpeeled apples, then toss with lemon juice. In large salad bowl, arrange spinach, then mound apples in center. Surround apples with circle of nuts; sprinkle cheese in band around inside edge of bowl.
Bring salad to table, pause for admiration of your arrangement, pour on the dressing, toss and serve.