Nothing says spring like the first-of-the-season asparagus, paired here with shiitake mushrooms.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2007
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup sliced, stemmed shiitake mushroom cap (about 8 oz/250 g)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken stock
MethodTrim off tough ends of asparagus; cut each stalk diagonally into 4 pieces. In saucepan of boiling water, blanch asparagus until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes; drain well.
In wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry shallots until softened, about 1 minute.
Add asparagus, shiitake mushrooms, salt and pepper; stir-fry until mushrooms are wilted and asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes.
Add chicken stock; cook, stirring often, until no liquid remains, about 2 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 162 mg
- Protein 3 g
- Calories 65.0
- Total fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 4 g
- Iron 7.0
- Folate 40.0
- Calcium 1.0
- Vitamin A 6.0
- Vitamin C 7.0