(8 months +)
Don't raise your eyebrows! This intensely coloured purée is packed with nutrients, and the ground spices provide flavour without heat. Let your older kids dip strips of naan, whole grain toast or pita in this as a snack.
- Portion size 500 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2009
- 1 1/2 cup sodium-reduced vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup dried red lentils rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 carrots peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup cauliflower floret chopped
- 1 small potato peeled and diced
MethodIn saucepan, bring vegetable broth, red lentils, and ground coriander and turmeric to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in potato, carrot and cauliflower; simmer, covered, until vegetables and lentils are very tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
In blender or food processor, purée lentil mixture to desired consistency. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 3 days.)
Makes 2 cups.
Nutritional facts Per 1 tbsp (15 mL) : about
- Sodium 2 mg
- Protein 1 g
- Calories 10.0
- Total fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 0 g
- Total carbohydrate 2 g
- Iron 1.0
- Folate 4.0
- Vitamin A 4.0
- Vitamin C 2.0