The sweetness of balsamic vinegar accents the earthy grilled flavor of leeks. Substitute a good red wine vinegar if unavailable.
- Portion size 8 servings
- 6 leeks
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup good-quality olive oil
- 4 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes chopped
Trim green ends from, leeks; split lengthwise and rinse thoroughly under water.
In saucepan of boiling salted water, cook leeks for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender; drain and cool under cold water.
Place, cut sides down, on rack over medium-high heat; grill, turning once, for 8 minutes or until golden. Cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces; place in airtight container.
Dressing: In small bowl, mix vinegar, thyme, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper; gradually whisk in oil. Pour over leeks; sprinkle with sundried tomatoes. (Leeks can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.)