Since cooked rice hardens in the refrigerator, it is best to make this salad the day of the buffet.
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2006
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup basmati rice
- 2 carrots halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 3/4 cups thinly sliced radishes (about 6)
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
MethodIn large saucepan, bring 4 cups (1 L) water, wild rice and salt to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add basmati rice; simmer, covered, until all rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
Dressing: Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over rice and toss to coat. Let cool for 30 minutes.
Add carrots, toasted almonds, radishes and green onions; toss to combine. (Make-ahead: Cover and let stand for up to 1 hour.)
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 172 mg
- Protein 6 g
- Calories 226.0
- Total fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 31 g
- Iron 7.0
- Folate 11.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 38.0
- Vitamin C 7.0