Smothered in our two-minute homemade barbecue sauce, these juicy veggie- and fibre-packed mini meat loaves are a nutrient-dense, inexpensive meal that your little ones will gobble up. Serve with steamed green beans and quick-cooking brown rice.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2014
- 1/2 cup bottled strained tomatoes (passata)
- 2 tablespoons fancy molasses
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 450 g lean ground beef
- 1 cup grated peeled carrots
- 1 cup grated zucchini (peel-on)
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
MethodIn bowl, whisk together strained tomatoes, molasses, vinegar, half of the mustard and the Worcestershire sauce; set aside.
In separate bowl, mix together beef, carrot, zucchini, wheat bran, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper and remaining mustard; stir in 3 tbsp of the tomato mixture. Roll into 8 balls; place each in separate well of nonstick muffin pan. Spoon remaining tomato mixture over top of meat loaves.
Bake in 400 F (200 C) oven until instant-read thermometer inserted in centres reads 165 F (74 C), 12 to 14 minutes. Discard any liquid remaining in pan.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 4 g
- Sodium 484 mg
- Sugars 9 g
- Protein 24 g
- Calories 308.0
- Total fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 67 mg
- Saturated fat 6 g
- Total carbohydrate 18 g
- Iron 32.0
- Folate 11.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 47.0
- Vitamin C 10.0