This glorious pink soup is delicious with traditional dill or fresh coriander.
- Portion size 6 servings
- 5 beets (1-1/4 lb/625 g)
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cups chopped green onions
- 2/3 cups light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced (unpeeled) cucumber
- fresh dill sprigs
- fresh coriander sprigs
In saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook beets until tender and skins slip off easily, about 25 minutes.
Drain and let cool; slip off skins and cut into 1/4-inch (5 mm) dice. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. (Beets can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
In large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the onions, sour cream, dill, sugar, vinegar and salt. Cover and refrigerate until chilled or for up to 6 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Ladle buttermilk mixture into serving bowls. Swirl in beets and cucumber. Garnish with remaining green onions and dill or coriander sprigs.