Toasting corn and beans brings out earthy flavours and transforms this dish into an exotic South American–style salad.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2011
- 1 cup brown rice rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels thawed
- 3 plum tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 6 green onions
- 1 can black bean drained and rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups baby arugula leaves
- 2/3 cups roasted pumpkin seeds
- 2/3 cups roasted sliced almonds
- 2/3 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
MethodDressing: In bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper; set aside.
In saucepan, bring rice and 2 cups water to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until no liquid remains, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes; fluff with fork.
Meanwhile, in cast-iron or other heavy skillet, toast corn over high heat, shaking pan, until fragrant and charred, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
In same skillet, cook tomatoes and onions, turning once, until softened and charred, about 3 minutes. Let cool on cutting board; cut into small chunks and add to bowl.
Add black beans, oregano and cumin to skillet; cook until beans are dry and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add to bowl. Stir in rice, arugula and pumpkin seeds.
Add dressing, feta cheese and cilantro; toss to coat.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 959 mg
- Protein 30 g
- Calories 758.0
- Total fat 42 g
- Potassium 1154 mg
- Cholesterol 23 mg
- Saturated fat 10 g
- Total carbohydrate 74 g
- Iron 73.0
- Folate 75.0
- Calcium 26.0
- Vitamin A 23.0
- Vitamin C 37.0