This recipe is an adaptation of maque choux, a Cajun dish often made with cream. This version is lightened up by using broth instead.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2010
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
MethodIn large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion, stirring often, until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Stir in corn, sugar, paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring, until film forms on pan, 3 to 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in saucepan, heat broth over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) to corn mixture, stirring until almost evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat 3 times until corn is tender and almost all liquid is absorbed.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 352 mg
- Protein 5 g
- Calories 178.0
- Total fat 7 g
- Potassium 307 mg
- Cholesterol 15 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 29 g
- Iron 6.0
- Folate 25.0
- Calcium 1.0
- Vitamin A 9.0
- Vitamin C 13.0