The classic Swiss cheese dish gets a wonderful Canadian twist. If you like, serve boiled potatoes alongside the cubed baguette for dipping.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2010
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 cups dry Riesling wine
- 1 lb Kingsberg Emmental cheese shredded
- 1 lb Miranda cheese shredded
- 1 lb Mont St-Benoît cheese shredded
- 1 lb Oka l'Artisan cheese shredded
- 1 lb Canadian raclette cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons slivovitz
- 2 tablespoons plum eau-de-vie
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- 2 baguettes cut in 1-inch cubes
MethodIn fondue pot, combine garlic with all but 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the wine; bring to simmer over medium heat. Add Kingsberg and Raclette cheeses, stirring constantly with wooden spoon until melted.
Dissolve cornstarch in remaining wine; stir into pot along with pepper and nutmeg. Bring to simmer, stirring; simmer for 1 minute. Stir in slivovitz.
Place pot over medium-low heat of fondue burner on table, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain low simmer and stirring often. Serve with bread to skewer and dip into cheese mixture.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 servings: about
- Sodium 904 mg
- Protein 50 g
- Calories 888.0
- Total fat 45 g
- Potassium 300 mg
- Cholesterol 139 mg
- Saturated fat 28 g
- Total carbohydrate 64 g
- Iron 23.0
- Folate 47.0
- Calcium 116.0
- Vitamin A 34.0