- 1 lb sliced bacon , cut into 1 cm strips
- 2 onions , diced
- 4 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes , diced
- 3/4 cups Jackson-Triggs Reserve Sparkling Wine
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 3/4 cups maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons powdered fruit pectin
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons 4-spice (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Makes roughly 6 cups.
Heat a large pan over medium high heat. When hot, add in the diced bacon and cook until "very crispy" as the almost overcooked bacon will add a great crispy bacon flavour and texture to the final jam.
Remove the bacon and allow to cool on paper towel. Strain off all fat that remains in the pan and reserve.
Heat a medium sauce pot over medium heat; add in the reserved bacon fat then the onions and garlic. Cook until just soft (roughly 3 to 5 minutes).
Next add in the tomato, wine, vinegar, maple syrup and Worcestershire sauce.
Bring to a simmer, then turn heat to low and simmer until the tomatoes just begin to break down (roughly 10 to 15 minutes).
Stir through the fruit pectin, smoked paprika and crisped bacon. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil while continuing to stir. Allow to boil for 1 to 2 minutes.
To finish, season with salt, pepper and 4-spice (optional).