This creamy, rustic soup is easy to prepare and actually tastes best the next day.
- Portion size 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb carrots peeled and chopped (4 cups/1 L)
- 4 oz rutabaga peeled and chopped (2 cups/500 ml)
- 4 oz turnips peeled and chopped (2 cups/500 ml)
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 clove garlic sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 1 pinch dried marjoram
- 1 pinch thyme
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 potato peeled and chopped (1-1/2 cups/375 ml)
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese (such as Blue Ermite or Blue Benedictine)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
MethodIn Dutch oven, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add carrots and turnip; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Add onion, garlic, bay leaves, salt, pepper and marjoram; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened but not coloured, about 10 minutes.
Stir in broth and 4 cups (1 L) warm water; cover and bring to boil. Add potato; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly. Discard bay leaves.
In batches in blender, purée soup until smooth. Pass though sieve into clean saucepan. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 days.) Return just to boil; reduce heat and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring and adding up to 3/4 cup (175 mL) warm water for desired consistency.
Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with cheese and chives.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 723 mg
- Protein 7 g
- Calories 190.0
- Total fat 10 g
- Cholesterol 19 mg
- Saturated fat 5 g
- Total carbohydrate 20 g
- Iron 4.0
- Fibre 0.0
- Folate 12.0
- Sodium 0.0
- Sugars 0.0
- Calcium 13.0
- Protein 0.0
- Calories 0.0
- Total fat 0.0
- Vitamin A 135.0
- Vitamin C 17.0
- Potassium 0.0
- Cholesterol 0.0
- Saturated fat 0.0
- Total carbohydrate 0.0