Serve these savoury cakes hot or at room temperature along with lemon wedges to squeeze over top.
- Portion size 28 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2005
- 2 baking potatoes (about 1 lb/500 g total)
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup shredded old Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped prosciutto (2 oz/60 g)
- 1/2 cup chopped serrano ham (2 oz/60 g)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Peel potatoes; cut into chunks. In saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; add butter and mash. Transfer to large bowl; let cool for 10 minutes.
Stir in cheese, prosciutto, flour, green onion, pepper and salt. Shape by rounded tablespoonfuls (15 mL) into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick patties.
Spread bread crumbs in shallow dish; press each patty into crumbs, turning to coat. Place in single layer on waxed paper-lined baking sheet; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.)
In large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; fry patties, in 2 batches, adding remaining oil as necessary and turning once, until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes.
Nutritional facts <b>Per piece:</b> about
- Sodium 83 mg
- Protein 1 g
- Calories 49.0
- Total fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 6 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 5 g
- Iron 1.0
- Folate 2.0
- Calcium 2.0
- Vitamin A 1.0
- Vitamin C 2.0