- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: January 2011
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs cubed
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 plum tomatoes seeded and diced
- 2 sweet red peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 Hungarian wax peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 Cubanelle peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 lb mini white potatoes scrubbed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
MethodSprinkle chicken thighs and breasts with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of the salt and pepper. In large Dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken, in batches. With slotted spoon, transfer to plate; set aside.
Add remaining oil to pan and heat over medium heat; cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, paprika, marjoram, caraway seeds, bay leaf and remaining salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes; cook for 2 minutes, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Add red peppers, Hungarian peppers, green pepper and potatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in flour; cook for 1 minute.
Return chicken and any juices to pan. Stir in chicken broth and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender and juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 servings: about
- Sodium 573 mg
- Protein 28 g
- Calories 334.0
- Total fat 14 g
- Potassium 884 mg
- Cholesterol 80 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 26 g
- Iron 23.0
- Folate 19.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 40.0
- Vitamin C 173.0