- Portion size 10 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2011
- 1 1/2 cup long-grain rice rinsed and drained
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut in 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thigh
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 4 cups chopped bok choy
- Lime wedges
- cilantro sprigs (optional)
MethodIn large saucepan, mix together rice, sweet potato and half of the shredded coconut. Add coconut milk, water and half of the salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut chicken into 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes. In bowl, toss together chicken, garlic, soy sauce and curry powder.
In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry shallots until light golden. Add chicken mixture; stir-fry until chicken is lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Scrape over rice.
Top chicken with bok choy; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cover and cook over low heat until rice is tender and juices run clear when chicken is pierced, 10 to 15 minutes. Fluff with fork, mixing in chicken and bok choy. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Transfer to serving dish.
Meanwhile, in small skillet, toast remaining coconut over medium-low heat until golden. Sprinkle over rice mixture; garnish with lime wedges, and cilantro (if using).
Nutritional facts Per each of 10 servings: about
- Sodium 303 mg
- Protein 13 g
- Calories 317.0
- Total fat 15 g
- Potassium 480 mg
- Cholesterol 38 mg
- Saturated fat 11 g
- Total carbohydrate 33 g
- Iron 21.0
- Folate 13.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 71.0
- Vitamin C 23.0