2003 Canada Day Challenge Runner Up
- Portion size 4 servings
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 4 slices red onions (1/2 inch/1 cm thick)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 kaiser rolls
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Dressing: In bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, oil, garlic, anchovy paste (if using) and mustard. Set aside 1/3 cup (75 mL) and refrigerate.
Place each chicken breast between sheets of plastic wrap; pound to even thickness. Place in dressing, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 8 hours.
Discarding dressing, sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Brush onion with oil. Place chicken and onion on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill until tender and chicken is no longer pink inside, about 6 minutes per side for chicken and 10 minutes per side for onion.
Meanwhile, in bowl, toss together lettuce, Parmesan cheese and reserved dressing. Halve rolls; toast on grill. Sandwich lettuce mixture, chicken and onion in rolls.