With just a toss of fresh ingredients, this is ready in no time.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2007
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced gingerroot
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 1 sweet green pepper thinly sliced
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups bean sprouts rinsed
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
MethodCut chicken across the grain into thin strips. In wok or large deep skillet, heat half of the oil over high heat; stir-fry chicken, in 2 batches, until no longer pink inside, about 4 minutes. Set aside on plate.
Add remaining oil to wok; stir-fry ginger and garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add carrots, green pepper, mushrooms and pepper; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) water; cover and steam until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
Sauce: Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk together chicken stock, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch, sesame oil and hot pepper sauce; pour into centre of wok and boil, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
Return chicken to pan; stir-fry until sauce is thickened and glossy. Spread bean sprouts all over platter; top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with green onions.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 714 mg
- Protein 30 g
- Calories 280.0
- Total fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 66 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 15 g
- Iron 16.0
- Folate 21.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 116.0
- Vitamin C 52.0